Have you ever made a conscious effort to create a new habit? This could be embarking on an exercise routine, changing how your fuel yourself with food/ drink, waking up early, or anything else that is new and will help you achieve a goal you want to reach and maintain. If the answer is yes, than you know that at the start it is fairly easy to begin strong, feel extremely committed and on course, but that at some point the initial high and good feelings that come with a renewed effort to take better care of yourself wane a bit. We all have moments where our resolve is tested or our morale is low- and that is normal. It is what you choose in THOSE moments that makes the difference between being truly committed to the outcome you seek, or not. How committed to reaching your goals are you? How important are they? Is there something you sacrifice by hanging back in a space somewhere between solid commitment and your excuses? Are you who you want to be? Answers to these questions will vary wildly from person to person and span all areas of your life. Here are my top 5 tips, inspiration and things to keep in mind for staying the course and getting to the land of new habit…
- The food you eat as well as the medications and or supplements you take, water you drink and air you breathe have the potential to make massive difference in how you feel, think, look, in your mood, sense of well being, outlook and your overall health, for better or worse.
- You will not be fully committed to any new way of eating or living until you are driven by a serious desire to TRULY care for yourself and honor your own best interest. If your underlying motive based mostly on changing/controlling your appearance, you will fall short or yo yo.
- We all have a lot more choice than we sometimes lead ourselves to believe.
- Stay focused on what you have to GAIN by letting go of whatever you are sticking to. Ask yourself what is the payoff you receive for hanging on to an old habit that you know is not in alignment with where you want to be, and then LET IT GO.
- Your ability to cope with life’s stresses in healthy positives ways, or not, will also greatly influence your health and happiness. Breathe, spend time with good friends, dance, sing, write, or make art. Express yourself, spend time in nature and make your state of well being THE top priority.
Sometimes it FEELS easier moment to moment to stay where you are. It takes energy and dedication to create new habits. But often the ease of same, though seductive, is short term. Looking at the bigger picture, you may be putting off far greater rewards. Changing the way you eat or spend your time may be perceived as hard, no fun, or something you don’t possibly have energy to take on. Sometimes we put all we’ve got into caring for our kids, work, and all our other responsibilities before caring for ourselves. The reality is, change IS hard at first, it might be ‘no fun’ for a while and it does take energy and focus. But if what you stand to gain is feeling 100 times better, that should be a no brainer right? Ask yourself what is the price to paid over time by staying in exactly the pattern you are in now? Feeling your absolute best makes everything in life feel A LOT easier and more fun! What change in your life do you deserve to create?
THANK YOU for reading and I hope there was something there you find helpful and/or useful as it applies to YOU and your journey to being the happiest most joyful human you can be. You deserve it all!
Until the next blog…peace out, A town down and have a happy day! Do something extra nice for yourself this weekend.